my Ogden~Cronin Genealogy
genealogy of the ogden & cronin families of massachusetts
First Name:  Last Name: 
[Advanced Search]  [Surnames]

Notes


Matches 101 to 150 of 193

      «Prev 1 2 3 4 Next»

   Notes   Linked to 
101 Western Union Telegraph
Dated: Brooklyn, NY May 23 189_
To: Stephen A. Simon
Uncle Augustus mother died at nine PM last night
burried Monday
T.J. Domings
134 Frost Street, Brooklyn Ed 
Elizabeth Mariana SIMON
 
102 In 1846 Francis operated the Boston Express at 25 Front Street. By 1850 it was know as the Simon's Salem and Boston Express. Francis Bodwin SIMON
 
103 Apparently Gertrude and S. Henry did not get along very well. S. Henry even refused to give Gertrude her share of the money from their parents home (140 Essex Street, Salem), which had become the home of Henry's family. Shortly after Henry's death in 1956, his daughter Ruth called Gertrude and offered to give her her fair share. However, Gertrude would not hear of it. (RKS) Gertrude M. SIMON
 
104 removed to 87 Lefferts Place, Brooklyn, N.Y. Henry Felt SIMON
 
105 John Simon was born in 1781 in Bordeaux, France, eight years before the start of the French Revolution. According to a note that Ruth Simons (b. 1912) wrote, he went to "Cuba" to study how to be a cooper (barrel maker), and earned 600 (?) as an apprentice. According to a note believed to have been written by John Simon (written in French, see Appendix): He left Bordeaux January 28, 1803 on board the Eliz. with Capt. Chabriey for the island of St. Domingue* (no mention of Cuba, though it is the next island over). It's unclear whether he was aboard a military vessel or not. However, at the time Napoleon's France was desperately trying to restore French rule and slavery on the island of San Dominique*, and meeting stiff resistance from the former slaves on the island. In February John Simon sailed to Puerto Rico, and in March arrived in St. Domingo*, and planned to set sail July 12 in order to return to France August 12, 1803. By the end of the year, Napoleon withdrew his humiliated troops from San Dominique* and on January 1, 1804 Haiti became an independent republic.
* The French named their one-third of the island "Saint-Domingue," which was changed back to its original name in 1804. The Arawak Indians (the original inhabitants) called Hispaniola island "Hayti. Santo Domingo, is a port city in the Dominican Republic and it was influenced by the Spanish.
** 1803 ...June 17, 1803, Major Lozinsky dies. Napoleon loses 40,000 of his best soldiers, twenty-two months after February 1802.
** 1803 ... The 2nd Demi-Brigade is also re-numbered as the 114th and they are "escorted" to Genoa, Italy, with 87 officers and 2,750 men and they also set sail for Saint Domingue at the beginning of February 1803.
** 1803 ... The 2nd Demi-Brigade is also re-numbered as the 114th and they are "escorted" to Genoa, Italy, with 87 officers and 2,750 men and they also set sail for Saint Domingue at the beginning of February 1803. (http://www.angelfire.com/mi4/polcrt/PolesinHaiti.html)
** 1803 ... The French are defeated at the battle of Vertieres on November 18, 1803.
** Between 1803 and 1905, a British Military Prison was located on Melville Island. During the Napoleonic Wars and the War of 1812, French, Spanish and American Prisoners of War were incarcerated there.
** Napoleon's attempt to return Saint Domingo to France rule was to lead to the transfer of French troops to New Orleans to secure Louisiana which it had just re-aquired from Spain (by a not so secret treaty). Napoleon's plan was to establish a French New World empire in Louisiana. But the plan to subdue the rebels in Saint Domingo was key to his plan. Failure to do so directly led to the sale of Louisiana to the United States of America in April of 1803.

On John Simon's return trip to France, they were captured by an English frigate, the Boston, commanded by Capt. Douglas and taken to Halifax, Nova Scotia where they arrived September 12. Britain and France had just resumed their ongoing wars at the beginning of the year after a short year and a half of peace. John was imprisoned as a prisoner of war on Melville Island September 20. The story passed down through Ruth Simons (b. 1912) was that John became friendly with a fisherman from Beverly. One night he jumped out a window with his clothes and was taken to Beverly, MA by the fisherman. (Came to Salem 1803 per Essex Institute Vol. III, p.216). His story only says he left the island October 28, 1803, and stayed in Halifax until May 7, 1804 when he left for Canso aboard the schooner Fany from Hali(fax). He sailed from Canso to Quebec to Montreal and then back to Canso. On August 22, 1804 he left aboard the American schooner the Rebeca of Beverly where he arrived on the 29th. He left Beverly September 3, 1804 for Salem, where he worked until August 29, 1805 when he left for Boston. He was married to Sarah Russell Blood in Boston on September 20, 1807. They stayed in Boston until September 25, and then settled in Salem.

He wrote his parents on September 7, 1804 from Salem. His father wrote back to him on December 21, 1804. According to his fathers's letter, John had visited with Monsieur Paille of Bordeaux prior to September 7.

In 1807 he established the family confectionary which remained in operation through three generations until 1925. The first location of the confectionary and family home was on North Street in Salem at the corner of Essex Street (on the Shepard Block, possibly then known as the Clarke Estate in the northeast corner of Essex and North Streets. The Clark Estate at 304 Essex Street -possibly stretching to 306 Essex and 2 North Street was taken down in 1835, to give way for the Shepard Block) . They stayed on North Street until 1816 when they moved to 160 Essex Street on the Manning Block (later known as the Bowker Block). A drawing was sketched of this store front and the adjacent Merchants Bank (c. 1831-1855). According to a newspaper letter by Emma M. Tassinari, Salem, this location was next to Starr C. Hewitt Jewelers at the time, and was replaced by Peter Tassinari's fruit & vegetables store in 1892 after Simon moved. The large brick building in the center of the drawing mentioned above is currently the office of the Peabody Essex Museum (erected in 1830) at the northwest corner of Essex & New Liberty). (See Lowell Sun Feb. 21, 1933 - possible fire at Bowker Block may have destroyed 160 Essex Street)

According to "The Origin of the Catholic Church in Salem" (by Louis S. Walsh, 1890), he was a "prominent Catholic" in Salem at this time. He is listed as one of Salem's original congregation members under Father Mahoney. Before Salem had a Catholic church or residence, he kindly housed Father Matignon and Father Cheverus, who generally spent a night each visit, at his homes at North Street (later removed to (46) Broad Street and owned by Mr. Cassell-in 1890) and the low wooden structure at 158 and 160 Essex Street (still standing in 1890 nearly opposite the Museum, and where Moustakis Bros. was located in 1925). He was a prominent worker in the building of the Saint Mary's Church, the main part of which was ready in the summer of 1821. One day (bet. 1824-1825) John Simon was at the church with Father Byrne, when one of the rich Foresters came, and expressed his regret to see the walls without plaster. John and the Father Byrne must have won the old man's heart, for, it is said, that he immediately offered to pay the expense of plastering, and the kind offer was thankfully accepted. He was also deed a pew in the Baptist Church of Salem (possibly his wife Sarah was a Baptist).

He was admitted to the Essex Lodge (No. 10) of Free Masons May 22, 1820. This Lodge was one of the oldest societies in Salem (in 1861) originating in 1779. (Essex Institute vol. III, p. 216) A photo can be found of John Simon in The History of the Essex Lodge (...) The original photo (or duplicate copy) was found among a collection of family artifacts held by his decendants Mary Cronin and Ruth Simons (2003). This photo can be found in the attached Appendix. 
John SIMON
 
106 John 'was confident and stood his ground', according to his brother Harry. He was drafted by the Army during World War II. John served as a Staff Sergeant in Company F, 101st Infantry Regiment, of the 26th Infantry Division (Yankee Division) in General Patton's Third Army. He was killed in action in his first battle in Nancy, France on November 8th?, 12th?, or 19th? 1944.

John was born in Salem on Essex Street next to the Armory. He moved to Beverly when he was nine (9) and graduated from Beverly High School with the class of 1932. He was employed as a mason by a local contractor prior to enlistment in the Army.

John entered the service March 3, 1941, and completed training at Camp Gordon, Georgia; Camp Campbell, Kentucky, and Camp Jackson, South Carolina, before leaving for overseas service in August 1944. His family received a telegram on the morning of November 27, 1944 that he was missing in action. A later telegram reported that he was actually killed in action on November 19, 1944.

Newspaper clipping: Staff Sergt. John Simons of Essex Street, who was previously reported missing in action, was killed in action November 19 in France. S/Sergt. Simons entered the service in March 1941 and has been overseas since August of this year. (1944)

Enlistment record:
(Field Title Value Meaning)
ARMY SERIAL NUMBER 31018703 31018703
NAME SIMONS#JOHN#A########### SIMONS#JOHN#A###########
RESIDENCE: STATE 13 MASSACHUSETTS
RESIDENCE: COUNTY 009 ESSEX
PLACE OF ENLISTMENT 1306 BOSTON MASSACHUSETTS
DATE OF ENLISTMENT DAY 03 03
DATE OF ENLISTMENT MONTH 03 03
DATE OF ENLISTMENT YEAR 41 41
GRADE: ALPHA DESIGNATION PVT# Private
GRADE: CODE 8 Private
BRANCH: ALPHA DESIGNATION BI# Branch Immaterial - Warrant Officers, U
BRANCH: CODE 00 Branch Immaterial - Warrant Officers, USA
FIELD USE AS DESIRED # #
TERM OF ENLISTMENT 0 Undefined Code
LONGEVITY ### ###
SOURCE OF ARMY PERSONNEL 0 Civil Life
NATIVITY 13 MASSACHUSETTS
YEAR OF BIRTH 14 14
RACE AND CITIZENSHIP 1 White, citizen
EDUCATION 4 4 years of high school
CIVILIAN OCCUPATION 229 Kitchen workers in hotels, restaurants, railroads, steamships, etc., n.e.c.
MARITAL STATUS 6 Single, without dependents
COMPONENT OF THE ARMY 7 Selectees (Enlisted Men)
CARD NUMBER # #
BOX NUMBER 0384 0384
FILM REEL NUMBER 3.105 3.105  
John Augustas SIMON
 
107 per History of the Fiftieth* Regiment of Infintry, Mass. Voluteer Militia (M.V.M.) in the late War of the Rebellion, by William B. Stevens (Co. C), Boston, 1907 (p. 295):
"Company A, John F. Simon. Corpl. Machinist. Age 19. Single. Salem. Enl. Aug. 15, 1862. Mustered in Sept. 15, 1862. Died in Baton Rouge, LA, April 18, 1863."

per Mass Soldiers... Vol. IV, p. 511:
"... of disease in Regmt hospital..."

*contradiction: 30th Mass Infantry per Felt Genealogy

Military Records of Individual Civil War Soldiers; Ancestry.com:
Name: John F Simon ,
Residence: Salem, Massachusetts
Occupation: Machinist
Enlistment Date: 15 August 1862
Distinguished Service: DISTINGUISHED SERVICE
Side Served: Union
State Served: Massachusetts
Unit Numbers: 962 962
Service Record: Enlisted as a Corporal on 15 August 1862 at the age of 19
Enlisted in Company A, 50th Infantry Regiment Massachusetts on 15 September 1862.
Died of disease Company A, 50th Infantry Regiment Massachusetts on 18 April 1863 in Baton Rouge, LA

Regimental History
FIFTIETH REGIMENT
MASSACHUSETTS VOLUNTEER MILITIA (INFANTRY)
NINE MONTHS

The 50th Regt. Mass. Vol. Mil. was raised in response to the call of Aug. 4, 1862, for nine months troops. Its nucleus was the old 7th Regt. Mass. Vol. Mil., composed of companies from Essex and Middlesex counties, and commanded by Col. Carlos P. Messer. As early as Aug. 9, 1862, at a meeting of the line officers of the 7th Regiment, held at South Reading, it was voted to proffer the services of the regiment for the nine months term, and a communication was sent by Colonel Messer to Governor Andrew to that effect. The offer was accepted, and during the latter part of August and the month of September the old companies were recruited up to war strength, and enough new ones were raised to make up a full ten company regiment. By a general order dated Sept. 11, 1862, the 7th was re-designated the 50th Regt. Mass. Vol. Mil., and on the following day the members of the regiment and recruits began to assemble at Camp Stanton, Boxford. Here it was recruited up to the full regimental standard, and the
companies were mustered in between Sept. 15 and Sept. 30.

The 50th left for New York, Nov. 19, arriving the following day, and being almost immediately ordered thence to Camp Banks, Long Island, the rendezvous of the Banks expedition to Louisiana.

The different companies left New York, Company "I" on the first of December, and the rest of the companies on or about the 11th, some of them on condemned or unmanageable transports. The regiment was finally conveyed from Fort Monroe to Louisiana in fragments. Company "I ", which had
preceded the rest, passed New Orleans on its transport, the NEW BRUNSWICK, and arrived at Baton Rouge, La., Dec. 16. Here it was attached to the 30th Mass. Inf. until the major part of the 50th arrived. Companies "A ", " E ", and " K" arrived at New Orleans on the JERSEY BLUE, Jany. 19, and reached Baton Rouge, Feb. 6. Companies "C", "G", and "H", on the JENNY LIND arrived at New Orleans, Feb. 10, and on the 14th reached Baton
Rouge. On the MONTEBELLO which conveyed Companies "B", "D", and "F", the small pox broke out, and these companies did not join the rest until April 2, 1863.

At Baton Rouge the regiment was assigned to Dudley's (3d) Brigade, Augur's (1st) Division, l9th Corps, and before the arrival of the last three companies it had, on March 14, taken part in the demonstration against Port Hudson, made in cooperation with Farragut's fleet, two vessels of which, the HARTFORD and the ALBATROSS, succeeded in passing the Port Hudson batteries and securing a position on the river above
the city. From this time until March 26, the regiment was at Winter's plantation on the west bank of the Mississippi about three miles below Port Hudson. On the latter date it returned to Baton Rouge.

On May 12 the regiment proceeded to White's Bayou about ten miles southeast from Port Hudson where it remained until the 26th when it moved up to the works in front of the city. It took part in the assault on Port Hudson, May 27, its losses, however, being slight. It did not participate in the
second assault, June 14, but was engaged in supporting batteries and in trench duty until the surrender of the city, July 9.

From this time on for about twenty days it was in Port Hudson doing guard duty. On July 29 it boarded the steamer OMAHA bound for Cairo, Ill., en route for home. At Helena, Ark., the boat grounded on a sand bar, and the regiment was transferred to the steamer L. M. KENNETT, reaching Cairo, Aug.5. Here it entrained for Massachusetts, reaching Boston, Aug. 11. After a collation at Beach Street Barracks the regiment was marched to the Common and there dismissed, to reassemble at Wenham Mass., August 24.where it was formally mustered out of the United States service.

Battles Fought
Fought on 27 May 1863 at Port Hudson, LA. 
John Francis SIMON
 
108 Julia was an ancestor of Marguerite and Jessica Alley, who both died within (weeks or months) of each other at the Rockmere, Sunnyside Drive, Mountain View Lake, Sunapee, NH. The latter? was found dead just as she was supposed to meet a lawyer to sign her will (presumably to leave this little cottage to her friend ____) This little cottage, now known as "Happy Hours" was bought from the Alley estate by Mary Cronin and Ruth Simons on _______ 1956? If their father, Stephen Henry Simon(s) had lived one? more year he would have been the closest living realative and sole heir. However, he did not, and so the list of heirs increased to 11 and as their brother Harry was exclaiming "put a match to it!", the sisters decided to buy the cottage for ( $ )  Julia Maria Hixon SIMON
 
109 "Boston", http://www.fold3.com/image/#257|235321180 Lucy Nicholas SIMON
 
110 "Ground No. 2" (what is that?) "Tomb of John Simon", no mention of Broad Street Cemetery...  Lucy Nicholas SIMON
 
111 Boston? death notice says "Boston" twice but can only assume it's birth since there's no column heading. One must be city of death though. Lucy Nicholas SIMON
 
112 check these deaths: mass archives reference number
Simon Mary A. Salem 1855 93 174 Death
Simon Mary Ann Salem 1841 1 30 Death  
Mary A SIMON
 
113 Places of Residence:
140 Essex Street, Salem (born)
Cabot Street, Beverly
30 Clement Ave. Peabody (Sept. 1939 for 16 months)
5 Putnam Street, Peabody
36 Appleton Avenue, Beverly???
9 Harrison Avenue, Beverly (1951-1968)
110 Marlboro Drive, Apt 203, Montreal, Canada (1968-1970)
New Zealand (about Dec. 1970 - about May/June 1971)
8 Bradley Road, Danvers
Beverly
Marblehead

Mary chose her own middlename at Confirmation. "My mother let us pick our own middle name at confirmation."(1) She chose Charlotte after a girl that she knew and liked.

The following was taken from Mary's writing in "The Grand-Parents Book":
Where were you when your grandchildren were born?; How did you find out they had arrived?; When and where was the first time you saw them? (p. 9):
Michael: "when Michael was born we were in Canada 1969; David & Andy called Montreal;" first saw him in his home.
Kevin: "Canada (1969); David & Andi wrote to New Zealand; Kevin was running around at Logan Airport (June 1971)."
Mark: "visiting in Seattle 1970; Nan & Paul called Mt. View Lake; Mark was in a back pack on Paul's shoulder at the airport (Nov. 1970) in Seattle."
Charlie: "New Zealand 1971; Larry called New Zealand; Charlie was asleep in his mothers arms at Logan Airport June 1971."
Tom: "Tommy - ; - ; Tommy in Malden Hospital."
Jay: "Danvers 1973; Larry called Danvers; Jay in Malden Hospital."
Marin: "Danvers 1973; Nan & Paul called Danvers;" first saw her in her home.
Suzanne: "Danvers 1974; David & Andi called Danvers;" first saw her in her home.

Who were the first people you told?: "Everybody"; Did you suggest names?: "no" (p. 9)

Where were you born?: "140 Essex St., Salem, Mass. The same house in which my father was born." (p. 10)
When?: "March 28, 1911, Spring - Tuesday" (p. 10)
How old were your parents?: "Stephen Henry Simon - 37 years; Ellen Theresa Canty Simons - 24 years" (p. 10)

Where is the first home you remember?: "140 Essex St. second & third floor over the bakery and store. Comfortable with a grand piano in the parlor a toilet & tub off the kitchen, electricity and hot air central heat." (p. 13)
What do you remember about your room?: "had to clean it every Saturday. I would read a book by the street light when I was supposed to be sleeping." (p. 14)

Who was your first best friend? and other friends?: "Anna & Ruth, Mary Conway; others: Jennie Carter, Hilda Selby, Natalie Gregware" (p. 14)
Grown-up friends?: "Mary Ann Teresa Josephine Donavan Quinn" (p. 17)
pets: "cats, Tom & Jerry" (p. 16)
favorite TV programs: "We bought our first TV set in 1953 - Feb. 7; we were not "very young""
radio programs? "No T.V.; Fibber Magee & Molly, Fred Allen"

Who were your favorite teachers?: "Miss Godfrey - 5th grade, made things interesting" (p. 21)
Favorite grammar school subjects?: "all but ancient history and grammar"
Were you in school plays or concerts?: "no"
What did you do after school?: "practiced my piano lesson, went to gym class and to a music club. On occassion would visit at my friends house."
Who were your favorite athletes?: "Beverly High football team"

When did you leave your parent's home?: "In Sept 1939 got married and lived at 30 Clement Ave. Peabody", paid "$5 a week"
How long did you live there, where did you move next?: "16 months - the house was sold and we wanted more room and a yard. We moved around the corner to 5 Putnam St. in Jan. 1942" (p. 45)
Where else have you lived?: "We bought a house in Beverly. Had an apartment in Canada; New Zealand and Danvers... 1951-1968: 9 Harrison Avenue, Beverly; 1968-1970: 110 Marlboro Drive, Apt 203, Montreal, Canada"

Social Security # either: 011-03-8322 or 020-05-1621 (one is Bing Bang's) 
Mary Charlotte SIMON
 
114 (burial) "Ground No. 2, Tomb of John Simon"
http://www.fold3.com/image/#257|235321863 
Sarah Louisa SIMON
 
115 http://www.fold3.com/image/#257|235321863 Sarah Louisa SIMON
 
116 "Stephen A. Simon, Salem's oldest confectioner, died at his home, 140 Essex Street, this morning (October 5, 1908), quite suddenly. He had been feeble for some time, but was about all day yesterday. He was taken ill early this morning, and a physician was summoned, but Mr. Simon passed away soon after the arrival of the doctor. Mr. Simon was born in Salem, Oct. 20, 1821, and he recieved his education in the Salem public schools. He next learned the confectioner's trade of his father, the late John Saimon (sic), who came to Salem in 1804, and who (established the family confectionary in 1807 on North Street until 1816 and then) began business in the house 160 Essex Street in 1816. On the death of the father, the son continued the business until the present time. The store always enjoyed an enviable reputation; the lads and lassies of the last 75 years always believing that there was never any confectionary quite so nice as that made by Mr. Simon. Mr. Simon was twice married and he leaves a widow, a son and daughter. For nearly 87 years Mr. Simon had lived and conducted business within a few rods of where he was born." (per obituary in Salem Evening News, October 5, 1908.)

The building at 160 Essex Street was located where Moustakis Bros. was located in 1925, and also where Tassinari's previously stood. The building is pictured in a drawing with the storefront labelled "J Simon"; it's pictured to the left of the L.H.Rogers building which still stands as the office center for the Peabody Essex Museum. Stephen A. Simon tried to purchase the building in 1864, since that is where the family business had been located for nearly 50 years. He apparently was unsuccesful and in 1867 purchased the property at 140 Essex Street from the heirs of Col. Francis Peabody. This building was located where New Liberty Street now lays - and must be the building to the right of the L.H.Rogers building in the drawing mentioned above. This old house was built as near as could be ascertained (according to the Salem Evening News, May 28, 1925) from old records sometime about 1710, probably by William Ropes. William's son Joseph, was a cordwainer and storekeeper as was his grandson, Daniel. John Ropes, the son of Daniel, kept store at the property for many years, possibly dealing in West India goods. His son, James, was also a shopkeeper, and at his death the property passed to his daughter, Mrs. Priscilla Ropes Archer. She lived there until her death sometime after 1837. Her son, James Archer kept a bakery shop there until 1840, when another baker named Pepper took over the property. He built the old oven which still existed in 1925.
(see his picture in the Appendix)

He retired at about the age of 50 (per S.H.Simon, via R.Simons) 
Stephen Augustas SIMON
 
117 Taken from the verbal stories/memories of Mary, Ruth, Anna and Harry:
Stephen, known as "Henry", 'was a worker; he was ambitious, and enjoyed his "spirits" to excess' (Harry); he was a confectioner, like his father and grandfather, and later was a baker at the family business (and home) at 140 Essex Street, Salem, established in 1807. This is also the address at which he, as well as his children (at least Mary), was born. The home was 250 years old when his children lived there. The Simon family owned the building next door (to right?) which was rented to a Chinese family that ran a laundry mat from it. In 1916, during the First World War, when sugar was in short supply, the business was changed from a confectionery to a bakery. At the street level, the back room served as 'kitchen' with a large brick oven used to bake bread, rolls and cake. At the street entrance was the store front for the bakery, where all the goodies were sold, including breads, jelly rolls, chocolate marshmallow rolls, donuts, peanuts, etc. The family lived upstairs, and were entitled to 'cuttins' (end pieces of jelly rolls) and 'malato' pans of rolls (mixed white bread and graham bread). 'Henry', the prankster, would entice new passerbys, the newspaper boy, and others to have some peanuts, which he would take out of the oil, place on a cloth, sprinkle on some salt and pass into their hands. Of course the peanuts were so hot they would burn in the hands of the screaming patron. At some point Stephen Henry changed his name from Simon to Simons to avoid an improper pronunciation.

The bakery was in business until June of 1925 when the family moved to 443a Cabot Street in Beverly. Henry retired explaining that his father retired when he was 50, so he could too. According to Harry, he walked a lot after retirement. He occasionally worked as a baker in Marblehead and elsewhere.

The building at 140 Essex Street no longer exists. In its place is the pavement of New Liberty Street between the Essex Mall parking garage and the Armory Park (formerly the Armory building). The building still remained on the 1957 map of Salem.

Henry was a cadet of the Second Corps Cadets at the Salem Armory located next door to his 140 Essex Street home. He received Marksman pins in 1895 and 1896, 1st class Marksman medal & ribbon in 1897 with an added 1898 bar, a sharpshooter medal & ribbon in 1899, and a Sharpshooter medal in 1902. He was called to duty during the brief Spanish American War at Fort Miller, Marblehead on Naugus Head at the mouth of Salem Harbor. Fearing that a fleet of Spanish war ships was headed for New England, many forts along the coast were garrisoned in preparation for an attack. Henry served in Company A which which took command of the fort on May 9, and was relieved by Companies B & D on May 17, 1898. The corps left the fort on June 1. On September 24, Henry was a member of the firing squad at the funeral of Private Kingsley, Co. B, 7th U.S. Regulars who died at Chelsea and was burried at Broad Street cemetery in Salem. 
Stephen Henry SIMON
 
118 At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. Living
 
119 Battle of Bunker Hill: Captain Mann's company - probably with Ebenezer Blood.

John bought land in Mason, NH in 1772. 
John SLOAN
 
120 Abigail died in Boston of an accident, shortly after arriving. Abigail SULLIVAN
 
121 Believed not to have immigrated to America

grand-daughter "Mary A. Sullivan, Joe's cousin, died in Jamaica Plains. Joe to wake." June 12, 1978
 
Daniel J. SULLIVAN
 
122 Hannah's funeral was held March 24, 1947 at 8:15 AM from her home at 24 Belleview Avenue followed by a requiem high mass at St. James Church, Salem at 9:00 AM, celebrated by the Reverand Leonard McMahon. Her pallbearers were James Sullivan, Daniel Sullivan, Henry Hallinan, Daniel Cronin, John Silk, Thomas Cronin. She was buried at St. Mary's Cemetery, Salem under the direction of P.W. Murphy & Son. (Salem Eve. News, March 22 & 25, 1947) Hannah Marie SULLIVAN
 
123 Forest Hills is an area of Jamaica Plain in Boston, MA. James Daniel SULLIVAN, Jr.
 
124 James D. came to Boston on the S.S. Arabic from Queenstown, May 6, 1906. He was twenty-two.
He was the only child listed as living with his mother and father in the Census of Ireland, 1901. He was seventeen (five years before he came to Boston in 1906).
(Genealogy of the Sheas and the Sullivans, Brendon Shea, 1998) 
James Daniel SULLIVAN
 
125 http://www.concordnet.org/library/scollect/Wheeler.htm#Capt_Thomas

GEORGE 1 WHEELER m. KATHERINE WHEELER

George Wheeler was an early settler of Concord: The first record I find of his name is in 1640. He appears to have been a person of some influence, and his name appears often on town records. He was selectman in 1660. His house lot of 11 acres was at the (present) corner of Main and Walden Streets, and in conjunction with Capt. Timothy Wheeler, who I think was very probably his nephew, he owned a large amount of land in the center of the town. He had also land near the “frog-ponds” and at Walden Pond, and at Nut Meadow Brook. His death is not recorded but his will was dated January 28, 1684/5 and presented for probate June 2, 1687. (Suffolk Prob. Reg. Vol. X fol. 1) His sons Thomas and John were named executors, but the former had died between the above dates and John was named sole executor. The will names “the children of my son William deceased, sons Thomas and John, daughters Elizabeth Fletcher, Sarah Dudley, Ruth Hartwell and Hannah Fletcher, and the children of my daughter ‘Fox' “. His age is not known, but as he had a son married in 1657, and as the birth of the youngest of his eight children occurred in 1645, it is probable that he was born between 1600 and 1610. I think it probable that he was a brother of Obadiah. [Katherine, wife of George, was sister to Obadiah Wheeler. She died 11 Feb. 1684 -- RRW]

[George married Katherine 9 Dec.1631 -- RRW] Katherine d. 2 Jan. 1684/5. According to a letter from Lexington genealogist Winifred Lovering Holman dated 21 June 1945, George Wheeler married first, 12 May 1645, Mary Studd.] His children by Katherine, as shown by his will and by the Town records were:

2. I Thomas 2 m. Hannah Harwood

3. II William 2 [b. 1633 – AY] m. Hannah Buss

4. III Ruth m. Samuel Hartwell

5. IV Elizabeth 2 m. Francis 2 Fletcher [b. 1636 in Concord. They married 1 Aug. 1656. On April 15 1682, their son Samuel 3 Fletcher, who was born 6 Aug. 1657 and died 23 Oct. 1741, married another Elizabeth 2 Wheeler -- #3008. She was born 23 Feb. 1664. Samuel 3 Fletcher was a Corporal under Capt. Timothy Wheeler (#2901) and fought in King Philip's War. He was a Selectman 1705-7. – JCW]

6. V Hannah m. [Samuel] Fletcher [son of William, son of Robert - RRW] [Note: Births, Marriages and Deaths has “Hanna Wheler” marrying Samewell (Samuel) Smedly 11 July 1667 and “ffrancies ffletcher” marrying Elizabeth Wheeler 11 Oct. 1656. See also note under # 5 – JCW]

7. VI Sarah b. 6 March 1640 m. Francis Dudley [They married 26 Oct. 1665. Their son Joseph Dudley married Abigail Goble in Concord 25 Feb. 1689/90. She was the daughter of Thomas Goble (Gobill). Joseph and Abigail's son Benjamin Dudley was born in Concord 20 March 1698/9 and married Elizabeth Rice of Sudbury. Then their son Joseph Dudley married Mary Warren of Westborough in 1732 -- JCW]

8. VII John 2 b. 19 March 1643 m. Sarah Larkin

9. VIII Mary b. 6 Sept. 1645 m. Eliphalet 2 Fox [They married 26 Oct. 1665. He was the son of Thomas and Rebecca Fox. Eliphlet and Mary Wheeler Fox' daughter Mary married Peter Harwood – JCW]


--------------------------------------------------------
2. The Obadiah Wheeler Line

1001 OBADIAH 1 WHEELER m. SUSANNA WHEELER

Susanna was a sister to George #1 from Cranefield, Bedfordshire. [See last section of this genealogy on Probable English Ancestry. This indicates that George #1 and Susanna Wheeler were among the eight children of John Wheeler of Cranefield, Bedfordshire, England. Obadiah #1001 was the son of another John Wheeler of nearby Doswell. The relationship between these two John Wheelers is unclear. -- RRW]

The will of Obadiah Wheeler "aged about three score and three years" was dated 6 Oct. 1671.

So he was born about 1608.

[According to this section of Tolman, Obadiah was” probably brother of the first George (George#1). However, this is contradicted by the information in the first paragraph above taken from the section on Probable English Ancestry -- JCW] He seems to have lived at first very near the center of the village, for in 1653 we find in the Town Records that [the residents of] "the East Quarter are to make and maintain all the highways from Obadiah Wheeler's house along to the baywards." etc. We afterward find his son Obadiah, in 1675, living on the Lancaster road beyond the South River, on land which may perhaps have been first set off to the senior.

The will of Obadiah Wheeler was imperfect in that it was not witnessed, and administration of his estate was granted to "Thomas Wheeler the kinsman and John Wheeler the son" of the testator. The document names "son Joshua first born and heir;" 2nd son Samuel"; "son Obadiah"; "son John"; "youngest son Josiah, and daughter Susanna". This shows that the son John whose birth in 1641 is recorded, must have died young, and have [been] succeeded by another of the same name whose birth was not recorded.

Obadiah 1 Wheeler died 29 Oct 1671 at 83. His wife Susanna died 24 March 1649. Their children, on authority of the Town Records, and of his will, were:

1102 I Joshua 2 [born in England] m. Elizabeth

1103 II John 2 b. 23 Jan 1640/1 d. young

1104 III Ruth b. 23 April 1642 [m Samuel Hartwell]

1105 IV a son b. 25 Nov. 1643 d. 29 Nov. 1643

1106 V Samuel 2 b. 22 Feb. 1655/6 m. Mary Perry

1107 VI John 2 [Was he killed by Indians at Oyster River, Durham NH leaving three sons, one of whom was Richard of Bedford? – RRW]]

1108 VII Susanna b. 16 March 1649 m. Shipley

1109 VIII Obadiah 2 m. Elizabeth [White]

1110 IX Josiah 2 “who was slain in ye engagement with ye Indians at Sudbury April ye 21, 1676.” Administration was granted to John Wheeler and Elizabeth (wife of Joshua) who deposes that “I heard my brother Josiah say that he willed one half of his estate to his brother John.” (Middlesex Probate Records Vol. VI fol 91.)

Probably the two youngest children were by a second wife, though there was no record of a second marriage.

...............................................
The Probable English Ancestry of the Concord Wheelers

by George Tolman

with notes from the Cranefield, Bedfordshire records

[Note to reader: see also the American Genealogist , Volume 12 pp 4-17 and after p 135 and Volume 14 for later analyses by Homer W. Brainard – JCW]

GEORGE WHEELER, son of John Wheeler, was baptized at Cranfield, Bedfordshire 18 March 1605/6. [Also reported to be 28 March, 1605 by Winifred Lovering Holman, genealogist of Lexington, in a letter of 21 June, 1945 to RRW. She also stated that George was the son of Thomas Wheeler.]

SUSANNA, daughter of John Wheeler, was baptized 16 February, 1609/10.

OBADIAH, son of John Wheeler of Doswell, was baptized at Cranfield 5 December 1609.

KATHERINE, daughter of the same John, was baptized 25 February 1610/11.

GEORGE WHEELER and KATHERINE WHEELER were married at Cranfield 9 December 1631.

OBADIAH and SUSANNA WHEELER were married at Cranfield 20 January 1633/4.

Apparently, then, George Wheeler married a sister of Obadiah and Obadiah Wheeler married a sister of George.

The relationship between the two Johns, fathers of these four can only be guessed. The name of Wheeler was at that time the name most frequently occurring on Cranfield Parish Registers, of all the names therein recorded, and beside these two above quoted instances of intermarriages among members of the same family name (Wheeler) there are several more there recorded which it is unnecessary to mention here.

The will of “John Wheeler of Cranfield the elder of that name” was dated 18 January 1642/3 and offered for probate 22 January 1644/5. In it he names “my oldest son John”, “son of Isaac”, “son Obadiah”, “daughter Mary Barrett”, daughter Katherine Wheeler”, “son William”, and several grandchildren. Wife Elizabeth to be Executrix.

The will of “John Wheeler of East Inn Cranfield, Yeoman, the eldest of that name” is dated 29 October 1632, and offered for probate 7 January 1632/3. He mentions no wife so we may infer that she was by then deceased: also he names “eldest son Ralph” as executor. Sons Thomas, John, Henry, George and William, “daughter Susanna Wheeler” and two other daughters.

It seems that George's father John was older than Obadiah's father John, but that there was still one, or perhaps more, Johns living after the decease of George's father.

There seems to be no room for doubt that the George and wife Katherine, and Obadiah and wife Susanna, who turned up in Concord in 1638 or thereabouts are the George, Katherine, Obadiah and Susanna of Cranefield, Bedfordshire, England. The coincidence of names alone ought to go far in evidence, but there are some circumstances in confirmation of the theory.
...

 
George WHEELER
 
126 http://www.concordnet.org/library/scollect/Wheeler.htm#Capt_Thomas

12. JOHN 3 WHEELER m. ELIZABETH WELLS Thomas 2/Geo1

They married 25 June 1684. Their first three children are recorded at Concord, the others at Marlboro, to which place he removed, and where he died in 1721. Some account of his descendants may be found in Hudson's History of Marlboro, p. 465 et seq .

Their children were:

35. I Josiah 4 b. 25 Sept. 1686

36. II Rachel b. 18 April 1689

37. III Dorcas b. 14 Jan. 1690/1

38. IV John 4 b. 15 Aug. 1695 m. Mary Hapgood and removed to Shrewsbury.

39. V Martha b. 22 July 1698

40. VI Joseph 4 b. 19 April 1700 m. Elizabeth Holloway

41. VII Ephraim 4 b. 1 May 1702

42. VIII Daniel 4 b. 12 Aug. 1704  
John WHEELER
 
127 http://www.concordnet.org/library/scollect/Wheeler.htm#Capt_Thomas

11. THOMAS 3 WHEELER m SARAH DAVIS Thomas 2/Geo 1

They married 13 Nov 1695. Sarah was born 11 March 1665/6 and was daughter of Lieut. Simon Davis and his wife Mary (Blood). Thomas 3 Wheeler (known to the Record as “Ensign” Thomas). Died 2 Oct 1734. [According to Henry Warren Wheeler, they lived in the East Quarter on the Bay Road on land previously owned by his father, probably including land later owned by Ralph Waldo Emerson.] His wife Sarah died 5 Aug 1728. They [moved to Hardwick MA and] were buried in the Main Street burying ground, their graves being numbered 484 and 485 in the record now deposited in the Free Public Library.

Their children were:

30. I Thomas 4 b. 14 Aug 1696 m. Mary Brooks

31. II Sarah b. 20 Dec 1697 m. Jonathan Hartwell

32. III Dorcas b. 29 March 1700

33. IV Hannah b. 9 April 1702

34. V Mary b. 3 March 1704 m. John Holden

[John Holden and Mary Wheeler married in 1725. He died in 1757. Children included Eunice 1717, Sarah 1728/9, Mary 1732, Jonathan 1734 and Rebeccah 1736. Sarah Holden m. Samuel Barrett – RRW and JCW].Note: On 13 Dec 1722 Thomas Wheeler & wife Sarah and Thomas Wheeler Jr. & wife Mary sell to Francis Wheeler and Nath'l Meriam, 60 acres in south part of Concord. [Also, see sworn statement at the end of George Wheeler's inventory – RRW]
 
Thomas WHEELER
 
128 Thomas Wheeler may be Captain Thomas Wheeler from Concord. His father may also be Thomas, and he could be Captain Thomas Wheeler.

The Concord Records book lists an Allice, daughter of Thomas Wheeler, died 1/17/1640 (p.3). However, this is before Thomas and Hanna Harrod were married (10/10/1657). This book lists a Thomas sen. & Sarah, which may be the parents of Allice (as well as of our Thomas Wheeler).

A Thomas and Sarath Wheeler are listed as having a Sarath, born 10th 4mo 1649 (p. 5). Thomas Wheeler sen & Sara, are listed as having a daughter Sara born 7/10/1649, a son Joseph born 8/18/1651, a son John born 2/18/1655, a daughter An born 12/22/1653, and a daughter Mary born 12/20/1658 (p. 8).

OWT http://trees.ancestry.com/pt/MergePersonAdvanced.aspx?tid=291235&pid=-2099255924&hid=-2033933448&owtpid=6365017&pg=2&ret=-2099255948
has a Thomas married to Hannah Harwood (1636-1697):
B 8/14/1633 Cranfield, Bedfordshire, England
D 12/16/1686 Concord, MA
F: George Wheeler
F: Thomas Wheeler
M: Rebecca Sayre
M: Catherine Pin
F: Henry Penn
M: Catherine Hull

...........................
http://www.concordnet.org/library/scollect/Wheeler.htm#Capt_Thomas
2.THOMAS 2 WHEELER m. HANNAH HARROD or HARWOOD George 1

They married 10 Oct. 1657. His death not of record, nor that of his wife who survived him. On 21 Sept. 1687 administration of his estate was granted to his widow Hannah, and his son Thomas. The inventory begins thus: “an inventory of the estate of Thomas Wheeler, son of George Wheeler late of Concord deceased.” (Suffolk Prob. Reg. Vol. X fol 115-116).

[RRW notes that Thomas's descendants in Marlboro, Worcester and Hardwick are described in a paperback on the Wheeler and Warren families compiled by Henry Warren Wheeler, Albany, 1892.] His children, as per Town Records, were:

10. I Hannah b. 25 Oct. 1658 d.12 Aug 1659

11. II Thomas 3 b. 1 Jan. 1659/60 m. Sarah Davis

12. III John 3 b. 2 Sept. 1661 m. Elizabeth Wells
............................
2801 CAPTAIN THOMAS 1 WHEELER m RUTH WOOD

[According to a note in RRW's files Thomas was baptized 8 April 1620. See also articles in the American Genealogist , Volume 12 pp 4-17 and after p 135 and in Volume 14 by Homer W. Brainard– JCW] Samuel G. Drake in his History of Boston , surmises (p. 196) that this Thomas Wheeler was the one to whom a grant of land was set down at Muddy River (p. 94 Boston Book of Possessions ). He also says (p.406) that "this Captain Wheeler, of the Brookfield fight, I believe to be the same one once owner of the point still bearing his name. He was of Concord at this time, having gone there recently." Here Mr. Drake is all wrong. The Thomas of Muddy River was a tailor: lived at what is now the corner of Bedford and Washington Streets: died at Boston 16 May 1654: his widow married John Pierce of Dorchester, and some years later sells this Muddy River land, "the property formerly of Thomas Wheeler" to “Thomas Hammond" {Suffolk Deeds Vol 3 p. 296.)

The other Thomas of Boston, who owned "Wheeler's Point", was a vintner: lived on the north side of "the street leading from the South Meeting House easterly" on land which was conveyed to him by Wm. Pell and his wife Alice,:in consideration of the love and affection they have unto their daughter Hannah wife of said Thomas". This Thomas and Hannah have several children in Boston, and were living there in 1681, when they buy land of Jonathan Bridgham. In Jan. 1690 adm estate of Thomas Wheeler, vintner, of Boston is granted to his widow Hannah, who with her sons Thomas and Joseph, sell to Thomas Bossonger this same property that had come to them from Wm. Pell. (Suffolk Deed XV-69).These facts make it impossible that either of these two Thomas Wheelers could have been the Capt. Thomas Wheeler to whom the Town of Concord leased 260 acres of land in 1669, and whom we knew to be the Thomas of the Quaboag fight, and the brother of Capt. Timothy Wheeler {No. 2901) Savage's identification of him, as having had a second wife Sarah, etc. is still more absurd, he died 19 Dec, 1678. The births of his children are not of record here, nor is his marriage, nor the death of his wife, but the record of his death is explicit: "Capt. Thomas Wheeler, husband of Ruth, died 10-10-1676". Thomas Wheeler, son of the widow Ruth died 17-12-1676/7. Nathaniel Wheeler, son of ye widow Ruth died 9-12-1676/7"

Joseph, Ephraim and Deliverance are identified by their uncle Timothy's will and on 19 June 1677, Joseph Wheeler is made administrator of the estates of his brothers Thomas and Nathaniel, the estate of the former, who had been with his father at the Quaboag fight, consisting only of "Horse, pistols, a cutlas and gun", and that of the latter of "one pair of oxen". The facts that Timothy (2901) had land in Charlestown, and that Deliverance (2806) lived for some time in Charlestown after his marriage, seems to infer some connection between this line of Wheelers and the Charlestown Wheelers. [See pp 377-408 of Hudson's History of Concord available at the Concord Free Public Library for the story of the Wheelers in King Philip's War – see also King Philip's War by Eric B. Schultz and Michael Tougias, Countryman Press, 1999 where on pp. 357-61 is printed Captain Thomas Wheeler's Narrative. Another book making reference to Wheeler is The Name of War: King Philip's War and the Origins of American Identity by Jill Lepore, Alfred Knopf, New York 1998. -- JCW]

...........................
This is the only key we have to the relationships of the early Wheelers, and shows:

1st Captain Timothy Wheeler # 2901 and Captain Thomas Wheeler #2801 were brothers

2nd They were nephews of Obadiah #1001

3rd They were both uncles of Sergeant Thomas Wheeler #3001, since Captain Thomas' son Thomas died in 1677

4th Timothy's 2nd wife was a Brooks.

Captain Timothy 1 Wheeler's first wife Jane died 12 February 1642/3, and he married 2nd Mary Brooks, daughter of Thomas & Grace Brooks. She died 4 Oct. 1693. The children were:
 
Thomas WHEELER
 
129 "A young and beautiful maiden with a dowery consisting of 1000 acres, she was the daughter of the most illustrious man in Concord, Major Simon Willard, soldier and engineer... Elizabeth's brother was the Rev. Samuel Willard who became the Vice President of Harvard Collage. To marry this girl was to marry well indeed!" (The Story of the Bloods, by Harris) Harris states that a piece of the wedding dress worn by Elizabeth on the day of her marriage has been carefully preserved in the historical room over the library in the town of Carlisle.

Elizabeths dowery consisting of a thousand acres of land be it more or less... the most of it in Concord Village (now Acton)." Robert was not to dispose of this land, "but it shall be for their children and heirs of my (Simon Willard's) daughter. This later became known as Virginia Farm and was not strickly a part of Bloods Farm." 
Elizabeth WILLARD
 
130 John, who was graduated at Harvard in 1690, and was a merchant of Jamaica for several years.  John WILLARD
 
131 Joseph, author, born in Cambridge, Massachusetts, 14 March, 1798; died in Boston, Massachusetts, 12 May, 1865, studied at Phillips Exeter academy, was graduated at Harvard in 1816, studied law in Amherst, practised in Waltham and Lancaster, and settled in Boston in 1829. He became master of chancery in 1838, was appointed joint clerk with George C. Wilde, of the supreme court and court of common pleas of Suffolk county, and held these offices until 1856, when they became elective. He was then chosen clerk of the superior court for five years, and re-elected for a like term in 1861. Mr. Willard was corresponding secretary of the Massachusetts historical society from 1829 till 1864, and many years a trustee of the old Boston library, lie was the author of " Topographical and Historical Sketches of the Town of Lancaster in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts" (Worcester, 1826); " Address to the Members of the Bar of Worcester County, 2 October, 1829" (Lancaster, 1830); "Address in Commemoration of the 200th Anniversary of the Incorporation of Lancaster, Massachusetts, with an Appendix" (Boston, 1853); " The Willard Memoir, or Life and Times of Major Simon Willard, and Some Account of the Name and Family in Europe from an Early Day" (1858); "Naturalization in the American Colonies" (1859); and "Letter to an English Friend on the Rebellion in the United States and on the British Policy" (1862). He edited the fifth edition of the "Narrative of the Captivity and Removes of Mrs. Mary Rowlandson among the Indians" (Lancaster, 1828), and was the author of many addresses, pamphlets, and contributions to various magazines. He left, incomplete, a "Life" of Gem Henry Knox. Joseph WILLARD
 
132 Joseph, clergyman, born in Biddeford, Maine, 9 January, 1738; died in New Bedford, Massachusetts, 25 September, 1804, was left fatherless at an early age, and made several coasting voyages. Through the generosity of friends he entered Harvard, was graduated in 1765, and in the next year was chosen tutor there, remaining until 1772. He was ordained colleague, with the Reverend Joseph Champney, of the 1st Congregational church in Beverly, Massachusetts, on 25 November, 1772, and in 1781 was elected president of Harvard, serving until his death, His only publications were a few sermons, a Latin address on the death of Washington, prefixed to the Reverend David Tappan's " Discourse" (Cambridge, 1800), and mathematical and astronomical papers in the "Memoirs of the American Academy," and the "Transactions" of the Philosophical society. He was a sound Greek scholar, and left a Greek grammar in manuscript.

Joseph's nephew, Samuel, clergyman, born in Peters-ham, Massachusetts, 19 April, 1775; died in Deerfield, Massachusetts, 8 October, 1859, spent his early life on his father's farm, and, receiving an injury in the back which unfitted him for agricultural labor, prepared for college, was graduated at Harvard in 1803. He was-a tutor at Bowdoin in 1804-'5, studied theology there and in Cambridge, and in 1807 became pastor of the Congregational church in Deerfield, where he remained until he resigned in 1829, owing to loss of sight, He then conducted a school with his son-in-law in Hingham, Massachusetts, for three years, and occasionally preached. He became a member of the American academy of arts and sciences in 1815, and received the degree of D.D. from Harvard in 1826. In addition to many pamphlets, sermons, and school-books, he published the "Deer field Collection of Sacred Music" (1808) ; " Original Hymns" (1823); "Index to the Bible, with Juvenile Hymns" (1826) ; " The Franklin Primer" (1826) ; a "General Class-Book" (1828) ; "Sacred Poetry and Music Reconciled: a Collection of Hymns" (1830); and an "Introduction to the Latin Language" (1835). 
Joseph WILLARD
 
133 Josiah, jurist, born in Massachusetts, 1 May, 1681; died in Boston, Massachusetts, 6 December, 1756, was graduated at Harvard in 1698, and was secretary of Massachusetts from June, 1717, until his death, being known as "' the good secretary." He was judge of probate in 1731, and a member of the council in 1734. Josiah WILLARD
 
134 Richard Willard, the father of Major Simon Willard, married three times. His first wife was Catherine *and there are four children from this marriage, as recorded in the Willard Memoir: a daughter Mary named in Richard’s will; Thomas baptized May 6, 1593 and buried 1608; Elizabeth baptized January 5, 1594; and Richard born 1596 or 97 named in the will. He married second, Margery (Humphries), (spelled Humferie in the Willard Genealogy) Willard and by her had Simon, Mary, Thomas, Elizabeth and Richard Jr. His third wife was Joane (Morehead) Willard, “a widow” and with her he had Edward, John, and George. The Willard Memoir records that Edward and John died in infancy. George, halfbrother of Major Simon, had at least three children: Deborah, Daniel and Joshua. Of these children, both Daniel and Joshua (baptized at Scituate November 2, 1645) married in Massachusetts. (http://willardfamilyassn.org/SalemMeeting.html)

Richard Willard, the father of our Major Simon Willard, was buried at St. Margaret's Church, Horsmonden, Kent County, England on 20 February 1616/17. Joane, Richard's last wife and mother to George Willard, was buried there a few days later on 25 February 1616/17. From the will of Richard Willard (pg. 53 of Willard Memoir; or Life and Times of Major Simon Willard by Joseph Willard, 1858):
"Joan my wyfe" is named, as is her son by her earlier marriage, "ffranncs Morebread," who wasn't yet 21 at the time the will was drawn up. We read of the legacy left to "George Willard my sonne", and Richard's "fower daughters namely Mary Elizabeth Margery & Catherine." There's also "Richard Wyllard my sonne." "Thomas Bolde of Horsmonden aforesayd housboundman my kindesman" was given rights in Richard's lands called "Weestbines". Richard mentions "Thomas Willarde my late Brother," and "Thomas Humferie my Brother in Lawe," along with "John Tyboull of Marden in the said countie my Sonne in Lawe." There's also "Roberte Goure of Stapelhurste in the said Countie yeoman my brother in Lawe."
The bulk of the estate went to "Symon Willard my sonne... when he shall come to his full age of two & twentie yeres." If Symon "shall decease without heire or heires of his boddy lawfully begotten" then it should go to "George Willard my sonne". Some mesuage & lands was to go to "my sayd sonne Richard Willard." The executor [John Tyboull] was to place Symon "with some honeste man wher he may learne some good trade wherby he may geet pte of his lyveinge & to allowe him that shalbe his master some porcon that he maye be the better instructede." The will was signed "viiij Martij 1616". [Aside: Richard the son was 8 years older than Simon. There might have been property not named in the will which automatically would have gone to Richard Jr as oldest surviving son.]  
Richard WILLARD
 
135 Samuel, clergyman, born in Concord, Massachusetts, 31 January, 1640; died in Boston, Massachusetts, 12 September, 1707, was graduated at Harvard in 1659, studied divinity, was ordained minister at Groton in 1663, and continued there until the Indian war of 1676. He became colleague with the Reverend Thomas Thacher, the first pastor of the Old South church in Boston, and contion with that church until his death. A story illustrating his excellent delivery is told. His son-in-law, the Reverend Samuel Neal, preached for him in the Old South church, and the sermon being considered very poor, the congregation requested that, he should not be invited to fill the pulpit. Mr. Willard borrowed the identical sermon and read it to the same audience, which immediately requested a copy for publication. On the retirement of Increase Mather from the presidency of Harvard, Mr. Willard, being vice-president, succeeded to the government of Chat college, serving in 1701-'7. He published numerous sermons, including " Sermon occasioned by the Death of John Leverett, Governor of Massachusetts " (Boston, 16'79); "The Duty of a People that have renewed their Covenant with God" 11680); "Ne Sutor ultra Crepidam, or Brief Animadversions upon the New England Anabaptists' Late Fallacious Narrative" (1681); "Mourner's Cordial against Excessive Sorrow" (1691) ; "Peril of the Times displayed" (1700); and other treatises, and left "Expositions upon Psalms, Romans, Corinthians, and Galatians," and other compositions in manuscript, which were edited and published by Joseph Sewall and Thomas Prince, colleague pastors of the Old South church, with the title of " A Compleat Body of Divinity in Two Hundred and Fifty Lectures on the Assembly's Shorter Catechism," in what is said to be the first miscellaneous folio volume that was published in this country (Boston, 1726). Samuel WILLARD
 
136 Samuel, clergyman, born in Kingston, Jamaica, Wisconsin, in 1705; died in Kittery, Maine, 25 October, 1741, was the son of John, who was graduated at Harvard in 1690, and was a merchant of Jamaica for several years. After graduation at Harvard in 1723, the son was appointed to the charge of a pastorate in Biddeford, Maine, in 1730. See "The Minister of God approved: a Sermon at the Ordination of Mr. John Hovey, with a Funeral Sermon on Samuel Willard," by William Thompson, A. M., and a preface by Thomas Prentice (Boston, 1743).


Samuel's grandson, Solomon, architect, born in Petersham, Worcester County, Massachusetts, 26 June, 1783; died in Quincy, Massachusetts, 27 February, 1862, worked in his father's carpenter-shop, and farmed till 1804, when he went to Boston, where he followed his trade. Subsequently ha became an expert woodcarver, his first important work in that art being the colossal spread eagle that was placed on the old custom-house in Boston. He began to carve in stone in 1815, was employed in decorating many public buildings in Boston, and gave lessons in architecture and drawing. He was a founder of the Boston mechanics' institute. On 2 November, 1825, he was chosen architect and superintendent of Bunker Hill monument, his design having been accepted by the building committee in the follow-mg year. He was engaged on this work for the subsequent seventeen years, being frequently interrupted by want of funds and by disagreements in the committee in charge; but, on 23 July, 1842, the top-stone of the monument was laid, and on the anniversary of the battle in 1843 its completion was celebrated in the presence of the president of the United States, his cabinet, and a large concourse of citizens frown every part of the Union. Mr. Willard's other works include the United States branch bank, Boston, the plan of the soldiers' monument at Concord, Massachusetts, the court-house at Dedham, Massachusetts, and the Harvard monument in Charlestown, Massachusetts He introduced the free use of granite as a building material in this country, furnished the first granite paving-stones that were ever used in Boston, invented many ingenious plans for working stone, and, as carpenter, designer, architect, and builder, was greatly in advance of his contemporaries. See '" Memoir of Solomon Willard," by William W. Wheildon (Boston, 1865).  
Samuel WILLARD
 
137 Sidney, educator, born in Beverly, Massachusetts, 19 September, 1780; died in Cambridge, Massachusetts. 6 December, 1856, was graduated at Harvard in 1798, where he was librarian in 1800-'5, and Hancock professor of Hebrew and other Oriental languages from 1807 until his resignation. In connection with this professorship he was also professor of the English language, and in 1827 the charge of the Latin department was assigned to him also. He studied theology and sometimes preached, He was mayor of Cambridge from 1848 till 1850, served frequently in the legislature, and was once a member of the executive council. He was a member of the Anthology club, and a founder of "The Literary Miscellany," established and edited the "American Monthly Review" (4 vols., 1832-'3), was editor of "The Christian Register," contributed to numerous periodicals, and published a " Hebrew Grammar" (Cambridge, 1817), and "Memoirs of Youth and Manhood " (2 vols., 1855).  Sidney WILLARD
 
138 Sidney, soldier, born in Lancaster, Massachusetts, 3 February, 1831; died in Fredericksburg, Virginia, 13 December, 1862, was graduated at Harvard in 1852, and stud-led and practised law in Boston. During the civil war he entered the National army, and was made major of the 35th Massachusetts regiment on 27 August, 1862, and fell at Fredericksburg, Virginia Sidney WILLARD
 
139 Simon Willard was born in 1604 at Horsmonden in the county of Kent, England. He was baptised April 7, 1605 in the parish church. In England he was a Kentish soldier. He had three wives. The first was Mary Sharpe daughter of Henry and Jane (Ffeylde) Sharpe. The second was Elizabeth Dunster, daughter of Henry Dunster (President of Harvard College), and Mary Dunster, neice of Elizabeth, daughter of Robert and Mary (Gerrett) Dunster.

He came to America in the spring of 1634 with his wife Mary (probably Sharpe?). Along with others on August 25, 1635, he founded Concord as a plantation. He served as town clerk from 1635 until 1653. He was elected by the Concord freemen as a representative to the General Court from 1636 until 1654, and assistant and councillor from 1654 until 1676. He was appointed to train a military company. In 1653 he was Sargent Major of the Middleton Company. He was commander-in-cheif of British forces for the Narragansett expedition in 1654/5. In 1659 he sold his Concord homestead and in 1660 he moved to Lancaster, in 1672 he moved to Groton (now Ayer). At the age of 71, in 1675, he served in King Phillips War. Groton was attacked during the war, Major Willard's house burned (1675/6). He then settled in Salem. He became a magistrate, and died while holding court in Charlestown. It is unknown where he was buried.

The Reverend Ebenezer Pemberton calls him "a sage patriot in Israel, whose wisdom assigned him a seat at the council-board, and his military skill and martial spirit entitled him to the chief place in the field." A letter from Major Simon Willard to the commissioners of the United Colonies in 1654 is contained in Thomas Hutchinson's " Collection of Original Papers relative to the History of the Colony of Massachusetts Bay" (Boston, 1769). See his "Life," by Joseph Willard (Boston, 1858).
(http://www.famousamericans.net/simonwillard ; Edited Appletons Encyclopedia, Copyright © 2001 VirtualologyTM)

Simon and the history of Concord (taken from SIMON WILLARD’S LIFE IN CONCORD, By Marian H. Wheeler, 91 Hayward Mill Road, Concord, MA 01742-3919; a talk delivered on August 2, 2002 to the members of the Willard Family Association at their 94th Annual Reunion held in Concord, Massachusetts.):
Back in the birthing stages of the Massachusetts Bay Colony, the Crown of England declared that in order to start a new town there must be two leaders – a religious leader and a military leader – to be in charge of any group of pioneers who were ready to pool their resources and set forth into a new settlement.
Well, among the arrivals in Cambridge, Massachusetts, in the year 1634, was a certain Reverend Peter Bulkeley, who had recently been ousted from his pulpit in Odell, England, through Bishop Laud, because he was not preaching to his parishioners the things that King Charles I wanted them to hear. Bulkeley’s beliefs and preaching were not acceptable, so he came to the Colonies seeking another band of Puritans who would like to follow him.
And, at the same time, came a certain Simon Willard, age 31, with a young family, who had a background of military training in the British Army, held the rank of Major, and who was also an adventurous merchant bent on setting himself up in the business of fur trading – and a great humanitarian as well.
So here were the two required leaders and a group of twelve or so families ready to expand into the wilderness, seeking a new and good living.
Simon Willard had probably set himself up in the fur-trading business back in Horsmonden. Since he had been apprenticed to a merchant, he was learning to be a good businessman, and that probably was the prime factor in his decision to undertake this adventure in 1634.
At any rate, once he arrived in Cambridge, Massachusetts, and had his family settled comfortably, his adventurous spirit lured him into the wilderness, seeking the source of his furs. He ventured out beyond the protection of the Bayside villages following obscure Indian paths, and found himself in Musketaquid land, the Indian word for this Concord area – "Grassy rivers."
Musketaquid was the heart of the beaver territory because of the numerous waterways that form the Sudbury and Assabet rivers, which meet at a place in Concord called Egg Rock, and from that point on it becomes the Concord River. It was near to the Indians of the Merrimack Valley and the Nashaway natives. For 10,000 years aboriginal people had been living here, and the Algonquian tribe had had a high civilization thriving in this area.
The European explorers who had come ashore here to mingle with the natives had also brought their dreaded diseases of smallpox, measles, diphtheria, etc. There had been bad epidemics through the Indian camps in 1617 and in 1633, so when Simon Willard came upon this land, and found the place practically empty, but with fertile land ready for seeding, and this "pre"pared location already cleared of trees and rocks, it seemed like an ideal place to start a new community. Also from this Musketaquid region, Simon could better intercept the furs coming from the Nashaway and Merrimack and Pawtucket tribes, and no doubt this cut off trade for the Truck House in Cambridge, which was the outermost Trading Post for the Mass. Bay Colony at that time (corner of Mt. Auburn and Brattle Streets in Cambridge today).
How did Simon know this little secret? Apparently through a friend from Kent, England – William Wood – an enterprising man, who had sailed to these shores with a crew of adventurers bent on investigating this wilderness to find out about its resources. He kept an accurate log, to which he added his own remarks, and when he returned to Kent, wrote a book about it, which was published in London in 1634, titled New England Prospects.
So, Simon made friends with the Indians and learned to speak their language so that he could do business with them. He was a very honest man, never cheated them, and they trusted him; so there was never any trouble nor harassment from them in town, and that led to the naming of the town because the settlers lived in peace and harmony and "Con-Cord" with the native people.
Concord became the first "inland" town in America to be established away from the Atlantic Ocean - therefore a real pioneer town, "a seed town" from which the 2nd and 3rd generations spread out to start more new towns to the west, north and south. It became a "shire town," where the Court House held all trials of wrongdoers at the sessions held twice a year, spring and fall, and being on the stagecoach route, inns and taverns became prevalent.
Since Simon had dealt so fairly with the Indians, he was instrumental in the actual transaction of buying the land from them. This Englishmen’s concept of "buying" the land puzzled the Indians greatly because they did not "buy" things, they swapped things, value for value, or gave things away - a policy of give and take, and a fair exchange for something they wanted. They didn’t own the land - "it belongs to the Great Spirit - and we use it and take care of it, but it’s not ours to give." As the great Chief Seattle asked: "How can I sell you a cloud?"
But the Englishmen insisted they needed to know where their bounds were. So the groups met under the Great Oak Tree - Jethro’s Tree - in the center of town, as it is now - five or more Englishmen and Squaw Sachem with several of her braves and they made a bargain agreeable to all. She asked for hatchets, hoes, knives, a little Wampumpeag (their form of money), but mostly the braves wanted cotton shirts, and Webbacowet wanted to look like Simon Willard, so they gave him a white shirt, a white linen band, a tall hat, shoes, white stockings and a great coat. Then Simon Willard set the bounds of the town by pointing to the four directions: 3 miles north, 3 miles east, 3 miles south and 3 miles west, making a six mile square area the white men could call theirs, and Squaw Sachem was satisfied. The natives could keep their hunting rights which were very important to them. This measurement of land became an example for other towns to follow.
Simon was a man of means, and held in high esteem as a merchant. He owned a 1,000 acre tract of land in Concord and Acton, which he sold as he was leaving Concord to go to help the town of Lancaster that was being besieged by unfriendly Indians. The Concord land was bought by the proprietors of the Saugus Iron Works who set up a new Iron Works in Concord by the Assabet River after they found a good supply of bog iron there. (the Bloods??? Interestingly, Richard Blood - most probably a brother of Robert Blood, who married Simon's daughter Elizabeth - appears to have worked at the Iron Works on the Saugus River in Lynn - the first iron foundary in America c. 1640)
About Simon’s personality - Clara Endicott Sears (whose estate in Harvard, Massachusetts, is now a museum called "Fruitlands") describes him as "a dashing personality - strong - tall - of good birth - great wisdom - handsome." Here is a quote from Concord Town Records: "He was held in high regard by his townsmen for his character, ability and shrewd but honest dealings with white men and Indians alike.
They leaned heavily on him for Council, and, when 23 years later, the Town of Lancaster sent an invitation to ‘Come and inhabit among us’ - it was with heavy hearts that they let him go."
This could have been a smart move on Simon’s part, as perhaps another lure was to be able to take over the Truck House there, and intercept the Connecticut River Valley fur trade. Here there would be fewer Englishmen and fewer rivals.
In case you are not convinced that Simon was a busy, capable, intelligent, efficient and wise man, try reading the five columns of his achievements during his lifetime in the index of the massive book Willard Memoir; or Life and Times of Major Simon Willard, 1858 edition, by Joseph Willard. In the copy reproduced by Higginson Books of Salem, Massachusetts, there are 146 items mentioned of things he did. Ruth Wheeler suggests that perhaps Simon Willard was the one to name Walden Pond in Concord, after a place in England called Saffron Walden, and in honor of a Major Walden, who was also a fur trader and a contemporary of Willard.
Has anyone here ever seen Simon Willard’s gravestone? A description of his death and funeral are available in Life and Times of Major Simon Willard. There had been a bad epidemic of a lung disease (influenza?? - pneumonia??) in April 1676 in Charlestown, Massachusetts. Simon’s house in Groton (town of Ayer, now) had just been burned to the ground by savage Indians, and he had moved his family to a safer place in Charlestown. Shortly after his move he was stricken with the plague, and died within days of being ill, "struck down by a fatal disease - died from a plague of an epidemic cold." Six hundred people died at that time.
"Several hundred soldiers marched, companies of foot and companies of horse marched to Major Willard’s funeral, then marched to Concord. There were probably crowds of public people to honor him."
But his gravesite is still unknown. It is not recorded in Charlestown. To quote from Wyman: Charlestown Genealogies and Estates, 1879, "died April 24, 1676, here, buried from Groton 27th" - but no one has ever found it that I know of.


The Noyes Family history tells that:

Elizabeth's father Major Simon Willard (1605-1676) came to New England in April, 1634, on the ship with Dolor Davis, his brother-in-law who married Margery Willard. He settled first at Cambridge, Massachusetts, where he lived for one year, receiving a grant of land August 4, 1634. He acquired a thousand acres of land along the Charles river and Boston town line, adjoining the farm of Dolor Davis, and had many grants of land from time to time. He was one of the founders and first settlers of Concord, and was the first deputy to the General court, elected in December, 1636, serving every year thereafter until 1664, with the exception of 1643-47 and 1648. He was elected in 1654 but declined to serve. He was a member of the council fifteen years, and for twenty-two years an assistant. He was given a patent by the General court in 1641 for trading with the Indians and collecting tribute from them. He was appointed magistrate, and during his life attended between seventy and eighty terms of the County court, his first term beginning November 28, 1654, his last April 4, 1678.

For forty years be was active in military life, and rose to the rank of major, commanding the provincial troops against the Indians. In both military and civil life he became one of the most famous men of the province, and it was he that led the expedition against the Narragansetts in 1655. He was also at Brookfield and Hadley in King Philip's war, leading the Middlesex regiment. The town of Lancaster invited him by a personal letter, dated February 7, 1658-9, to make his home in that town, promising land and privileges. He decided to locate in Lancaster and sold his Concord estates to Capt. Thomas Marshall of Lynn in 1659. His first home in Lancaster was bounded on two sides by the Nashua river, and commanded a superb view of the valley and surrounding country. He lived there twelve years, and in 1670-71 removed to the large farm in the south part of Groton, where in 1671-2 he served as chairman of the committee to seat the meeting-house, and in 1673 was chairman of the Groton selectmen. He had a splendid farm at Still River (now Harvard), and doubtless moved to Groton to be nearer his property.

He left Lancaster enjoying peace and good order, but King Philip's war was soon to devastate the country. He was one of the most conspicuous and honored men of his day, and he died April 24, 1676, at the close of King Philip's war, after having reaped his greatest triumphs. He was a stalwart Puritan, conscientious and of sound understanding, of brave and enduring spirit. He had wealth as well as honor, bringing to this country an ample patrimony, giving large amounts of land to his children and leaving 1300 acres, besides other property, at his death. He was buried April 27, 1676, and the inventory of his estate was filed later by his widow.

He married (first) Mary Sharpe, born 1614 at Horsemonden in England, daughter of Henry and Jane (Field) Sharpe, died before 1651, at which time Major Willard married (second) Elizabeth Dunster, baptised April 26, 1619, at Baleholt in the Parish of Bury, County Lancaster, England, daughter of Henry Dunster of that parish and sister of Henry Dunster, first president of Harvard college. Elizabeth (Dunster) Willard died about six months after her marriage, and Mr. Willard married for his third wife, in 1652, Mary Dunster, daughter of Robert and Mary (Garrett) Dunster, baptised December 15, 1630, at Bury, Lancashire, England, who had come to New England in 1652, and is believed to have been a niece or cousin of Elizabeth (Dunster) Willard, the second wife of Major Simon. (See N. E. H. G. Reg., Vol. 80, p. 93.) By his third wife Major Willard had eight children, and after his death, the widow, Mary (Dunster) Willard, married (second) July 14, 1680, Deacon Joseph Noyes of Sudbury, Massachusetts, and died December, 1715.
 
Simon WILLARD
 
140 first hand notes Source: A Grand-Parents Book
 
141 not confirmed!! Source: Ancestry.com
 
142 "Ogdon" Source: Census - 1881 Cananda
 
143 Lucy was buried in the Tomb of John Simon in the Burial Ground in Broad Street. Her age of 27 years in 1844 corresponds with her birth of 1817. Source: City of Salem Funeral Charges
 
144 "widowed...wife of 'Albert J.' Ogden" Source: Death Record of Amelia Crossman
 
145 Bert E. Ogden (informant) Source: Death Record of Amelia Crossman
 
146 (NOTE: marriage age of 19 doesn't add up)
"Annie Massion"? 
Source: Death Record of Annie Monahan
 
147 "aged 81 yrs"
attended 9/1-9/14 
Source: Death Record of Catherine Canty
 
148 Informant: Miss Simons, Beverly Source: Death Record of Catherine Canty
 
149 "widowed"
"father: * Massison" 
Source: Death Record of Delia Massison
 
150 Annie Reilly (informant) Source: Death Record of Delia Massison
 

      «Prev 1 2 3 4 Next»