my Ogden~Cronin Genealogy
genealogy of the ogden & cronin families of massachusetts
First Name:  Last Name: 
[Advanced Search]  [Surnames]
Stephen Augustas SIMON

Stephen Augustas SIMON

Male 1821 - 1908

Personal Information    |    Media    |    Notes    |    Sources    |    Event Map    |    All    |    PDF

  • Born  20 Oct 1821  Salem, MA Find all individuals with events at this location  [1
    Gender  Male 
    Died  5 Oct 1908  140 Essex Street, Salem, MA Find all individuals with events at this location  [2, 3
    Funeral Mass  7 Oct 1908  Immaculate Conception Church, Salem, MA Find all individuals with events at this location 
    9 AM 
    Residence at Marriage  Salem, MA Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Occupation  Confectioner  [4
    _FA5  **need to verify this birth record with marriage 
    _FA8  marriage to MAS of same age  [4
    Buried  7 Oct 1908  Harmony Grove Cemetery, Salem, MA Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Person ID  I024  My Genealogy
    Last Modified  19 Jan 2012 

    Father  John SIMON,   b. 21 Nov 1781, Bordeaux, France Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 2 May 1861, Salem, MA Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Mother  Sarah Russell BLOOD,   b. 18 Jun 1786, Mason, NH Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 16 Oct 1831, Salem, MA Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Married  20 Sep 1807  Boston, MA Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Married by  Boston, MA Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Rev. W. Baldwin of Boston 
    Family ID  F028  Group Sheet

    Family 1  Hannah DEAN,   b. 2 Feb 1819,   d. UNKNOWN 
    Married  19 Apr 1849  Salem, MA Find all individuals with events at this location  [5
    Family ID  F026  Group Sheet

    Family 2  Mary Anna SAGRILL,   b. Between 1831 and 1832, Boston or Canada Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 6 Oct 1855, Salem, MA Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Married  23 May 1852  Lynn, MA Find all individuals with events at this location  [6
    Married by  Henry V Degen, Pastor 1st U.E. Ch. 
    Last Modified  16 Jan 2012 
    Family ID  F027  Group Sheet

    Family 3  Mary A SHORTELL,   b. 24 May 1834, Ireland Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 11 Mar 1912, Salem, MA Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Married  19 Oct 1857  St. James Church, Salem, MA Find all individuals with events at this location  [7
    • "St. James Catholic Church"
    Children 
     1. Stephen Henry SIMON,   b. 25 Dec 1873, 140 Essex Street, Salem, MA Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 3 Jun 1956, 981 Hale Street, Beverly Farms, MA Find all individuals with events at this location
     2. John A. SIMON,   b. 1858,   d. 1888
     3. Sarah R. SIMON,   b. 1860,   d. 1876
     4. Francis B. SIMON,   b. Between 1862 and 1863,   d. 19 Dec 1887
     5. Annie B. SIMON,   b. 1870,   d. 1871
     6. Gertrude M. SIMON,   d. Aft 1956
     7. Mary G. SIMON,   d. UNKNOWN
    Last Modified  19 Jan 2012 
    Family ID  F018  Group Sheet

  • Event Map
    Link to Google MapsBorn - 20 Oct 1821 - Salem, MA Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsMarried - 19 Apr 1849 - Salem, MA Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsMarried - 23 May 1852 - Lynn, MA Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsMarried - 19 Oct 1857 - St. James Church, Salem, MA Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsDied - 5 Oct 1908 - 140 Essex Street, Salem, MA Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsFuneral Mass - 9 AM - 7 Oct 1908 - Immaculate Conception Church, Salem, MA Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsResidence at Marriage - - Salem, MA Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsBuried - 7 Oct 1908 - Harmony Grove Cemetery, Salem, MA Link to Google Earth
     = Link to Google Maps 
     = Link to Google Earth 
    Pin Legend  : Address       : Location       : City/Town       : County/Shire       : State/Province       : Country       : Not Set

  • Photos
    Stephen Augustus SIMON
    Stephen Augustus SIMON

  • Notes 
    • "Stephen A. Simon, Salem's oldest confectioner, died at his home, 140 Essex Street, this morning (October 5, 1908), quite suddenly. He had been feeble for some time, but was about all day yesterday. He was taken ill early this morning, and a physician was summoned, but Mr. Simon passed away soon after the arrival of the doctor. Mr. Simon was born in Salem, Oct. 20, 1821, and he recieved his education in the Salem public schools. He next learned the confectioner's trade of his father, the late John Saimon (sic), who came to Salem in 1804, and who (established the family confectionary in 1807 on North Street until 1816 and then) began business in the house 160 Essex Street in 1816. On the death of the father, the son continued the business until the present time. The store always enjoyed an enviable reputation; the lads and lassies of the last 75 years always believing that there was never any confectionary quite so nice as that made by Mr. Simon. Mr. Simon was twice married and he leaves a widow, a son and daughter. For nearly 87 years Mr. Simon had lived and conducted business within a few rods of where he was born." (per obituary in Salem Evening News, October 5, 1908.)

      The building at 160 Essex Street was located where Moustakis Bros. was located in 1925, and also where Tassinari's previously stood. The building is pictured in a drawing with the storefront labelled "J Simon"; it's pictured to the left of the L.H.Rogers building which still stands as the office center for the Peabody Essex Museum. Stephen A. Simon tried to purchase the building in 1864, since that is where the family business had been located for nearly 50 years. He apparently was unsuccesful and in 1867 purchased the property at 140 Essex Street from the heirs of Col. Francis Peabody. This building was located where New Liberty Street now lays - and must be the building to the right of the L.H.Rogers building in the drawing mentioned above. This old house was built as near as could be ascertained (according to the Salem Evening News, May 28, 1925) from old records sometime about 1710, probably by William Ropes. William's son Joseph, was a cordwainer and storekeeper as was his grandson, Daniel. John Ropes, the son of Daniel, kept store at the property for many years, possibly dealing in West India goods. His son, James, was also a shopkeeper, and at his death the property passed to his daughter, Mrs. Priscilla Ropes Archer. She lived there until her death sometime after 1837. Her son, James Archer kept a bakery shop there until 1840, when another baker named Pepper took over the property. He built the old oven which still existed in 1925.
      (see his picture in the Appendix)

      He retired at about the age of 50 (per S.H.Simon, via R.Simons)

  • Sources 
    1. [S01804] Book of Salem Records, (Massachusetts Historical Commission).
      (1821)

    2. [S02080] Death Record of Stephen A Simons, (MA DPH), Salem 1908 84 322 Death .

    3. [S02210] Gravestone of Stephen A Simon et al.

    4. [S02352] Marriage Record of Stephen A Simon and Mary Sagrill, (Massachusetts Historical Commission).

    5. WFT..

    6. [S02352] Marriage Record of Stephen A Simon and Mary Sagrill, (Massachusetts Historical Commission), 1852/60/161.
      "Mary Anna Sagrill"

    7. [S02376] Marriage Record of Stephen A Simon and Mary Shurtill, online: Salem 1857 108 281 Marriage .
      "Mary Shurtill", (both reside in Salem)